Sunday, January 06, 2008

Thoughts on Coming Home


As I mentioned before in teeny tiny letters, I have officially graduated from college with a B.A. in English. Yay! :-)

How does it feel? Well, I'm thrilled! Ecstatic. Thankfully relieved. And terribly nervous, in a mostly good sort of way.

Ever since I was little I have wanted to follow in my dear mother's footsteps and be a homemaker. Over the years this desire has grown. Many of the decisions I have made, and hopefully many more to follow, have been practical ways of preparing for my future calling. Choosing English as a major, which is a useful area of study for anyone, any time or position in life, and not simply a degree only justified by a following career. Attending a university only 2 and 1/2 hours away from home, so I could visit frequently. Living with a close-knit, God-centered homeschooling family for my last three semesters who gave me unending encouragement, ideas, delight, and vision. Only taking small part-time summer jobs to leave room for time with family, at home or abroad. And finally, despite many confident assertions from professors that I was "graduate school material," returning home to live with and serve my mother and brothers.

I think it will be the best way to prepare for what I'll likely be doing the rest of my life once I get married (being a helpmeet and mother), but even if that never happens, I believe it will be the most sensible and fulfilling and God-honoring place for me to be.

It's going to be an adventure quite unlike my last big quest for a college diploma. Actually, it might be very similar to my old days of homeschooling! Here are some similarities:
  1. I'll be home a lot, working on self-motivation for lifelong learning.
  2. I'll have lots of chances to waste time, or redeem it amazingly.
  3. I'll be able to spend more time with my family and friends, to more freely serve the Church and the needy.
A big difference between now and my "official" homeschool days: I am done with Saxon Math! Um, that is until I have my own kids... hopefully they can get assistance from their father or a math-minded uncle. ;)

Another difference will be the new responsibilities I want to take on seriously (cooking), new habits to form (regular hours of writing each day*), and the challenge of sticking to my own schedule while still being flexible to allow for the bending wind-breath of the Still Small Voice. . .


Tomorrow will be the first day my family goes back to school, and my first official day of not being in school or working. Oh, wait, I shall be working! My job will begin around 5:15, because three days a week, Whit has basketball practice at 6:30 A.M.! I shall try to feed him, but he knows it won't be wise to eat much before a tough workout. Then I have the rest of my day divided up... I might post tomorrow on what my plan's specifics, and how things turn out. :-)

If anyone has advice, thoughts, or words of wisdom, I would more than welcome it!

*Because of course I still intend to write books. Long ones, and many, muhahahah! ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Rael! I am very proud of you, not only for doing well at college, but for standing firm on your principles and beliefs in what is really important in life! Though it may seem hard at times, I believe you will be greatly blessed for your committment to God and family over personal ambition. Stand strong dear friend!
    ~Charity
    P.S. Make sure you don't forget those regular hours of writing! I am eagerly waiting for any new story installments! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:47 AM

    I am so very proud of you Rael! And I'm excited for you in your new role at home. You have now come to the time in your life where you can really blossom and grow into the young woman God wants you to be! Keep you heart soft and tender toward God's leading. Be strong and courageous and let your light shine as you humbly serve your family and your God.
    Chelsa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:26 PM

    I agree with Charity about the writing part!
    Sierra

    ReplyDelete