Wednesday, August 23, 2006

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door...

~Painting by John Howe, a wonderful Tolkien illustrator~

Tomorrow I'm leaving my cozy hobbit hole to begin my second semester of school away from home.

What a little hobbit I feel in this big world! Good thing, too, because if I were an elf or wizard who saw shadows of the future and was responsable for deciding the fate of the world, I would hide in my closet and never come out, even for all the riches of Numenor or all the darkest chocolate.

I'm sad at leaving my family. I love these folks, and the house will be even emptier now that Jonny has just left for school also. Ah, I feel such a deserter! But my mom wants me to go, so I'll do the best I can. I only have three more semesters left. I plan to come back home after I finish, to write and learn and grow and serve, untill my knight shows up to carry me away to a little castle somwhere. Hm, I wonder who he will be? Before I go off rambling about my longings for marrage (which I shall assuradly discuss another time), I must say that, while I hate having to leave my dear family in this emptying house, I'm also excited about the new adventures before me. And I hope that, like Chesterton's character Smith in Manalive, by leaving I shall learn to treasure home anew in more ways than expected.

"I feel that as long as the Shire lies behind, safe and comfortable, I shall find wandering more bearable: I shall know that somewhere there is a firm foothold, even if my feet cannot stand there again." ~Frodo Baggins~

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:00 PM

    I just came across something while doing research for my paper: Apparently, in Medieval art, "Crusaders were portrayed with their feet on a dog to show they followed the banner of the Lord as faithfully as a dog follows the footsteps of his master“ (Dictionary of Mythology, Folklore and Symbols.
    While the crusades weren't all that glorious an achievment, I still like the idea of the faithful dog.

    Hobbitgirl, as you go out there, I hope you'll be able to "doggedly" follow your master in all you do, and that you may experience all the joy that comes with walking in his footsteps!

    Muglin
    Posted 8/25/2006 at 6:26 AM by Muglin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muglin5:47 AM

    Hey Hobbitgirl, it's me again. Is this Blog still in use? I'd love to read some more about what's happening with you!

    Cheerio
    Muglin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read your blog on Xanga. You seem like just the kind of person I get along with best...hope you'll update soon! I enjoy reading what you write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thank you both for your encouragement. I shall see what can be done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:00 PM

    ...the Crusades weren't all that glorious an achievement..?
    No mate. They just stopped Allah's boys gettin' further than southern Spain.

    ReplyDelete