Saturday, April 07, 2007

Not quite Paul Bunyun...

How odd, and beautiful to have snow the day before Easter! The only thing is, I wish I was better at splitting wood.

I did a bit of practice this morning, trying to get some for the woodburning stove, but I mainly learned that the effort
  1. warms one up wonderfully,
  2. produces blisters on unpracticed hands,
  3. is much trickier than it looks, and
  4. takes muscles I seem to have neglected.
I felt a bit like Eustace attacking the Sea Serpent, and breaking Caspian's second best sword in the process. Silly, but at least I was doing- er, attempting something hard I generally don't do. ;-) I am glad for strong men! But to be a good helpmeet some day, and a good servant wherever I am, I must practice "girding my arms with strength" like the Proverbs 31 woman. I'll bet most pioneer women knew how to split wood. One never knows what life skills will come in handy some day!


Partial inspiration for this post comes from the challenging "Do Hard Things" articles on the Harris twins' blog, such as this one.

1 comment:

  1. I sometimes procrastinate doing hard things! Starting is a hard thing as is finishing. Love this post. Did you have enough wood to burn? Did you enjoy the snowy day?

    ReplyDelete