Monday, November 03, 2008

"NaNo what O?"


"What have you been up to, Rael?"

"Well, I'm doing this thing called NaNoWriMo..." Thus I begin, and is it any wonder I'm met with confused stares?

National Novel Writing Month is an event, a challenge, a crazy and frantic month of scribbling or typing, wherein the participants attempt to write a 50,000 word novel in November.

That's approximately 1,667 words a day, roughly 2 and 1/2 pages (single spaced, 12pt font).


I attempted it last year.

Here's the official site explaining it.

Though this year I don't have a school work load, I do have my family and various responsibilities to think about. As much fun and as useful an excercise as NaNo can be, I'll need to be careful not to put sacrifice more important things on its alter.
But handled carefully, it could be a monkey barrels of fun. Muhahahaha!

Three days in, I am on track so far, wondering if this will be the year of a completed NaNo novel.
If anyone is interested in reading what I've done thus far, I am posting it on a private blog, but can send you an invitation to read it if you promise you won't steal all my clever plot ideas and stunning prose. ;)

This year my story is about a boy who has been a slave nearly all his life, but must set out on a quest to find and rescue his father, who has been turned into a monster. It is very deffinitly fantasy, and I'm sure will at some point contain all the stereotypical and overused elements of that genre. But maybe some original stuff will show its face now and then.

That's rather one of the points of NaNoWriMo. You just focus on writing lots, and once your inner editor stops hyperventilating about all the hokey things you actually let stay on the page, the stage is set for refreshing and surprising things to begin happening.


And if anyone wants to do this with me next year, or jump in now (you'd only need to write about 5000 words today to catch up), let me know, and I'll do all I can to badger- excuse me, that is,
encourage you to join the madness- er, I mean fun. ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:13 AM

    Oh boy! Sierra will want to follow your story I'm sure. Can you send us the info?
    Chelsa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure thing, Chelsa! Something should show up in your inbox. It may try to get you to get an account, but if you don't want that just accept as a guest for 30 days. Let me know if it doesn't work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:33 AM

    I have a few friends doing this!

    Thank you for stopping by A Pondering Heart, and entering the giveaway!


    Blessings!
    Miss Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete