Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Book Review - The Great Divorce

The Great Divorce
By C. S. Lewis

I've now read this little book twice in less than a year, and I'm sure I'll be dipping back into it for decades to come.    What a gem!  It's a fairly quick read, but since it's Lewis, you might want to go slow with a pencil to mark all the great quotes.

The premise is this:  a busload of people from a dull and dreary town are taken to a wonderful land and given the choice to stay or go back to their self-centered lives. Tragically, few actually choose to stay.  Convictingly, their reasons are often all too familiar and close to home.

I had the amazing opportunity to read this for the first time last summer for one of my Next Step Discipleship classes.  For one week we broke into discussion groups, taking turns reading passages aloud, and talking about the book.  In my group was Ian Campbell, a tall Scotsman with an amazing accent.

Well, at some point in the book, George MacDonald shows up.  He's an old Scottish preacher whose writing greatly influenced Lewis.  And his parts were read by the only natural person in our group - Ian from Scotland.

Let me tell you, that's a memory I won't soon forget.  :-) 

'There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, in the end, "Thy will be done."

~ C. S. Lewis ~

Posted for the March of Books on YLCF

1 comment:

  1. Shame on me for reaching age 50 an not yet reading this classic! Thank you for whetting my appetite!

    ReplyDelete