Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Authentic Relating

"Authentic Relating" is something I've been trying to practice lately.  It means being willing to share the truth about what we think and feel with others, to show them our real selves, and to be willing to hear them without jumping to conclusions.  It means not using manipulation, or trying to find out what they want to hear.  When it's working well, it's two people interacting - with each other, not with pretend versions of themselves.

Let me tell you, it's tough!  But after all the pain and tears, I think it will be worth it, because truth and love always are.

"Authenticity is the courage to love 
with a rigorous inside-out consistency."
Authentic Phony, from Boundless  

"Truth is the lifeblood of relationships."
Glaen, by Fred Lybrand


1 comment:

  1. Very true and well said. I always really appreciate your posts, even though I don't comment often.
    I awarded you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete