Thursday, May 13, 2010

Harris, Humility, and Hunger

"What we suffer from today is humility in the wrong place. 
G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy


Last night I roamed among the shelves of Barnes and Nobles with my mom and older brother Sam (visiting from Iowa).  Settling myself in an overstuffed chair, I read bits of two books by Joshua Harris: his newest one, Dug Down Deep, and an older one which I somehow never got around to reading, Boy Meets Girl.  Here are good summaries from the author on what these books are about:
Dug Down Deep: Unearthing What I Believe and Why It Matter is my reveling in theology in my own simple way – not too polished, sometimes awkward, less than scholarly, hopefully gracious and faithful.  Even though these are deep truths, I don't pretend to be swimming in the deep end of the pool.  I'm splashing in the shallow end.  But if my splashing can inspire you to dive in, I will have succeeded.
~~~
I know the last thing most singles want is more rules and, in Boy Meets Girl, I wanted to offer an alternative: an intentional, God-pleasing game plan for finding a future spouse. In the book, I discuss how biblical courtship (a healthy, joyous alternative to recreational dating) worked for me and my wife Shannon, to give an encouraging and practical example for readers wanting to pursue the possibility of marriage with someone they're serious about.

The little bits I read in that hour were both refreshing and challenging. 

Perhaps its that "Humble Orthadoxy" that stands firm on Scriptural truth with a heart of humility and love for people even as we abhor sin.   Perhaps its the realization that Harris came from a similar background as me (a big family of conservative homeschoolers), so his struggles and challenges sound very similar.  Or perhaps its the fact that he shares how he's grown in living out the Christian faith in such a vulnerable and passionate way.

Anyways, I woke up this morning hungry.  Hungry for more of those good books.  But mainly hungry for more Scripture, where my roots should always be growing deeper.  The fact that I am neither as humble nor as firm in my convictions as I should be is not excusable.  But neither is it cause for despair, because that's the point - truth is true whether I follow it or not.  And how much better to see where I'm wrong and change, something God always invites us to do.

As Gandalf says with his quiet, winking smile, "And that is an encouraging thought."

Pride juggles with her toppling towers,
They strike the sun and cease,
But the firm feet of humility
They grip the ground like trees.  
 
G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
Have you been "hungry" for a particular book lately, or found any good quotes on true humility?

2 comments:

  1. Have you read "Humility: True Greatness" by CJ Mahaney? It's really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not, but I keep running into good articles and quotes by said writer. I'll be on the lookout for it now! Thanks for the suggestion. :-)

    ReplyDelete