Saturday, January 06, 2007

Catch-up Post I: Dreams, Dots, and DVDs

Note: Our internet went out for a bit. I fancy it went for a vacation or to visit relatives, don’t you? Where else could it have gone to? Anyway, it’s back, so today I'm posting the thoughts I’ve saved up from the last few days. I’ve posted them in the order I wrote them, with the newest at the top. Does anyone else ever have the nagging feeling that blogs are upside down, and new posts should go to the bottom? That’s the order we write, anyways...


Wednesday

Sarah, take me by the arm
Tomorrow we are Canaan bound
Where westward sails the golden sun
And Hebron’s hills are amber crowned

~Andrew Peterson~

I had the oddest dream last night. Either we were in heaven, or somewhere similarly unimaginably wondrous and nice. One could paint in the air with one’s finger, regardless of normal artistic ability, and go right into pictures with more ease than Bert, Jane, Michael and Mary Poppins. Dimensional barriers were only as thick as water. I wish I could remember more.

I found some more classics to chew on at a little used bookstore today, many for a dollar each, and a fine-looking scholarly Tolkien book to add to my collection. The “Friends of the Library Bookstore” is only open Wednesdays and Saturdays, from 9-noon, so the hunting was not as long as I would have wished. Amazon or Half.com are easy ways to search methodically when a certain book is needed. But what can beat the excitement of pulling an unexpected tome from a dusty shelf, recalling how “I always meant to read this,” or exclaiming you'd found “Another by that one author who was so wonderful!” and then, wonder of wonders, you find it bears, in the top-left corner of the cover, the special Orange Dot of one-dollar-ness?

If I can pull myself away from the thick fantasy book I’m reading (which shall NOT be before finishing my deliciously warming mug of chai tea) I’ll go visit the library and raid its DVDs. And run to Wal-Mart for my mom. (I should say “on behalf of my mom,” for the items to be purchased are more along the lines of milk and bread.) The new one on the south side is so much less crowded, and the floor layout is exactly like the new one in Abilene. I don’t want to budge, for I’m sitting by the fire and it’s beyond cozy, but then, there may be some good old Hitchcock’s or the Gaskell films just waiting…

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:38 AM

    Hi Rael!
    This post made me smile!! :-D I agree with you about Blogs seeming to be "upside down" sometimes... It makes sense in one way, to have the latest thing right at the top where you can see it, but when there is more than one article that you have not read, you end up reading them backwards, more often than not... :-/

    Oooh! I just LOVE book sales.. and BARGAINS!(I'll have to tell you later about an amazing bargain that we found recently!) Congratulations on your latest finds! :)

    Ok, now I will scroll UP ;-/ to read the next post... ;-)

    ~Charity

    ReplyDelete